Red Velvet Cupcakes
I have never made Red Velvet Cupcakes so I thought my birthday would be the perfect opportunity to try them as we were having family over for tea and cakes after our pub lunch. They were actually quite difficult to make! This is a pre-warning if you are thinking of giving them a go to not forget any ingredients! However, when you do get them right (the 2nd or 3rd time lucky!) they are the most more-ish treats and I’m sure they haven’t helped my waistline towards London Fashion Week tomorrow! Hope you enjoy them as much as I do
This recipe was incorporated from the beautiful BrownEyedBaker.
Preparation time: 20 Minutes
Cooking time: 20 Minutes
You will need:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
2½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons red food coloring
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar
Before you begin, pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees and line 12 cake cups in a tin or grease 12 cup places.
1. Add the butter and sugar into a bowl and whisk on medium for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Then add the egg and whisk on high for 2 minutes, making sure that you scrape down the bowl for any unmixed parts.
3. In a separate bowl, add the cocoa powder and the vanilla extract.
4. Then add the red food colouring and stir into a paste, making sure the the mixture is completely smoothed through.
5. Then add the paste to the sugar and butter mix and whisk on medium, remembering to scrape the sides and continue.
6. Next, add the flour and then the milk and whisk on high for 3 minutes so that all the ingredients are mixed right through.
7. When you have added the flour and milk, add the baking soda, salt and vinegar and whisk on high for 3 minutes.
Divide the batter evenly in the holders, giving about half to 3/4 to each. Place in the oven for 20 minutes and they should come out like this ready to be iced...